Monday, January 14, 2008

Shots, revisited

Since my kids had never had flu shots before, they apparently had to have two doses of it. So today we went back for shots.

I didn't mention to the kids what we were doing today until about an hour before we had to leave. They took the news pretty well, and we agreed that if they were good we could go to Walmart and pick out a small toy. I'm all about the bribery.

Fast forward to time to go. We are all in our coats except Madeleine who is having a fit. Shocking I know. I quickly remembered Adam's way of dealing with her, and told her that if she doesn't get this shot, she's going to die! And she won't be able to go on any more fun adventures with us, because she'll be dead.

So I walk out the door, and in my brightest, happiest voice call out, "Everyone who wants to stay alive and go on more adventures get in the car for shots!"

It worked! She came bounding out with a huge smile on her face!

And she waited nicely in the waiting room!

And she came calmly back to the office!

And she screamed her head off and had to be restrained while getting her shot.

Nice.

2 comments:

losing my needles said...

today I had my 6 week post-partum, and Nate was talking all about going to the doctor. He said that Graham was going to the doctor, and I explained that I was going to the doctor. Then he insisted that he really wanted to go to the doctor, like not with me, for himself. It's been so long that he has forgotten that he hates the doctor. Good news!

Kacey said...

Oh my sorry you had to do it TWICE! Not fun!