Six months ago, I took Benjamin to the clinic for his kindergarten shots. Madeleine was due for some also, so I figured we'd just get them all taken care of at the same time. The kids didn't really remember getting shots, so they weren't all that nervous. They called our name, and back we went. Benjamin had previously decided he wanted Madeleine to go first, and what did she know, so she agreed.
She got her shots, and of course started screaming! I think she had to get several, so after the first round, she needed another set. So I was holding her on my lap while she tried to get away and the nurse tried to stick her.
Benjamin saw this and ran behind my chair (no small feat since it was up against the wall!) to hide. It was his turn, and I had to pry him from behind the chair, and wrestle him to my lap. There was so much screaming, the receptionist came in to ask if she could help.
At that point I had Benjamin on my lap, and two other nurses were holding his legs, and a third was administering the shots. So everything was under control--no need of a 5th person to hold down the 5 year old boy who was screaming at the top of his lungs!
So that's what I was expecting this go around. And true to form, Madeleine heard the word shot and ran to her room to hide. I had been trying to be sneaky about it, but I had to tell Benjamin so that he could be brave for me. He did after all just turn 6, and he's a big kid now, and I was using that to my advantage. But he let it slip to Madeleine what was in the works.
After listening to screaming the whole way in the car, I called in reinforcements. Adam came, and pried her out of the car, and filled her little head with stories of death and dying if she didn't get the shot.
It worked! Both kids sat quietly and had their shots! It was awesome!
2 comments:
Hmmm, I've never tried stories of death and dying... I might have to try that tactic next time.
I'm glad all ended well! Flu shots are NOT fun...thank goodness for husbands!
Scare tactics...they seem to work every time with kids!! Shots are not fun. I don't blame little kids because I still want to run and hide when I hear that I have to get them!
Post a Comment