Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The OTHER holiday dilemma

Those of us who participate in the live Christmas tree tradition now have a dilemma. What the heck should we do with this tree? Our decorations have been down for days now, but the tree still stands. I haven't watered it in a few days, so it'll be nice and dry soon.

In years past, our city has sent out a truck to pick up the trees. I called the other day to find out if they would do this again, and the answer I got was somewhat surprising. Here's the conversation:

Me: Will the trash collectors be picking up Christmas trees?

City Employee (CE): No! Please hold.

CE: (Rudely) The trash collectors have never picked up Christmas trees, and they never will.

Me: Okay.

CE: In the past, we have come around and collected trees, but we haven't heard if we're going to do that this year.

Me: Okay.

CE: You could always put your tree in your front yard, and if no one picks it up you'll know.

Because apparently we live in White-trash-ville.

2 comments:

Anna said...

SO funny! And true, as I am watching my husband search on SOLID WASTE and ORGANIC WASTE on our town's web site.

Nothing about trees in either category, in case you were wondering.

Mike and Stacie said...

That is a dilema! At least you have your decorations down...mine are still up!