Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Book Review

I'm an avid reader. I read quickly, and pretty much, when I'm reading a book, it's all I think about. I can read a Harry Potter book in a day. So in an effort to keep better track of what I'm reading, I've created an account at www.goodreads.com This is a website where you can list books you've read, and share it with other people. So I'd like to invite all of you to head on over there, start an account, and add me to your friends list, and I'll add you to my friends list.

Because currently, I only have one friend, and that's pathetic.

Anyway, a book I recently read is New Mercies, by Sandra Dallas. Set in Natchez, Mississippi in the 1930's, it covers topics such as the treatment of slaves after the Civil War. But it's so much more than a book about slavery. A Colorado woman finds out she's the only living heir to the murdered aunt she never knew she had, and therefore inherits the family plantation and manor house. Being recently divorced, she escapes to Natchez to sort through the estate, and the life of the woman she never knew.

I really enjoyed the idea of the title, which reminded me of David A. Bednar's talk in the April 2007 Conference entitled "The Tender Mercies of the Lord." And the idea of mercies of the Lord is explored subtly as she comes to terms with the new life she leads.

So go forth and read.

1 comment:

Mike and Stacie said...

Sounds like a good book! I always like suggestions for a good book. Maybe I will check out this website and we can be friends!