Monday, November 26, 2007

It's all about the insecurities today

I accompany my ward choir when they sing. This happened because I opened my big mouth to the choir director when she just assumed the ward organist would play the piano. I got up on my soap box and ranted and raved about music being a non-calling, and the poor ward organist was already playing for Relief Society, and it just wouldn't be fair to assume she would play for the choir. Stupid.

Of course I got a visit from the Bishop a week later.

Anyway, I'm sort of a slacker in the practicing department, and sometimes it shows, sometimes I can fake my way through. We are preparing for the Stake Christmas dealy thing, and combining with another ward to learn our songs, because our choir only has about 4 people, on a good day.

The choir director from the other ward? She's a professional.

And I never felt so stupid as I did when I played while she directed, and couldn't play a note right to save my life! And couldn't find the base line to give the men their notes and had to ask her to show me.

Yesterday, she sat directly across from me as I played and I was sure she was watching me, and thinking, "This girl has no business accompanying a choir."

The thing that bugs me is that I knew what I was up against yesterday, and went in prepared, and had girded up my loins to defend me against her evil eye, but still! Couldn't play a note right! And she noticed and commented:

"You need to get that note right so the men can find their note!"

And I felt like I was 10, at my piano teacher's house, and had not practiced all week.

3 comments:

losing my needles said...

You would have gotten a B. Not my all time record low of a C (Yikes, what a bad lesson that was! I may as well have been condemned to death.)

Kacey said...

I didn't know you played the piano & the organ...Wow, very impressive. I never made it past
1st grade piano lessons.

Lori said...

Sorry Erin, those moments are not fun. Yet we all still seem to have them.