So. Madeleine Kate is almost four years old. This year we enrolled her in dance classes, and so far things are going pretty well. She didn't like it for the first month, but many ice cream cones later, (Bribe? Who does that?) she has decided she loves it. Which is good, because it's not exactly cheap.
Anyway, today was her first ever recital. I guess maybe it wasn't her first EVER recital, because she uses our counter, and the hearth on the fireplace as her stages, and has spent many, many hours on either dancing, and singing to imaginary audiences. So today was her first ever recital for real, live, actual people.
So Madeleine and I show up for this with her "hair and make up" done, just as the instruction paper asked us to do. I realized as soon as I walked into the staging room, that we were seriously lacking in the "hair and make up" department. I had pulled her hair back in a pony tail, curled the ends just a little bit, and put a black satin ribbon in her hair. I put some pale, shimmery eye shadow on her, and some lipstick, and thought that was plenty for a girl of three years and nine months.
Oh no. Not quite.
Now let me tell you, I don't even own blush or mascara, so it's not like I had a plethora of options. As for hair, I own a hair dryer and a curling iron. I don't know how to use the attachments for the hair dryer, and I've never bought mousse or gel or anything other than hair spray for my own hair. I'm just not a hair and make-up kind of girl.
I guess that's going to have to change if we are to continue on this road to stardom via the stage!
Anyway, I saw that I needed some body glitter, and maybe even some of that glitter you can put in hair. I saw I needed one of those super curly hair pieces. And I saw many flourescent, spandex-y type costumes in my future.
For those of you wondering where the pictures are, I will say that's another area I am sadly lacking in. Our camera broke after the family Halloween party. It's a pretty convenient time to be sans camera. You know, Halloween, dance recitals, Thanksgiving, birthdays, and Christmas all in the next two months. Fantastic.
Anyway, don't fret, there are TWO MORE RECITALS within the next month, and I'm sure I'll be able to dig up a camera by then. So keep checking, and maybe someday I'll surprise you with pictures!
2 comments:
Sorry about your camera. That's a bummer. I bet the rectial was a blast, though. I love it when Madeleine shows me her dance moves.
I totally understand the 3-year- old-dance-recital-over-board-with the make-up thing...my sister owns a dance company. It's crazy! Can't wait to see some pictures though!
Post a Comment