Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Book review and a giveaway!

There is magic in the written word. I've known that for years. My mom taught me to read before I went to Kindergarten, and I've been reading everything I could find ever since. And actually, I read more than just books. I read billboards, signs, advertisements, the names of trucking companies printed on trucks as we're driving along. I've read the warning about airbags printed on the back of the visor in our car, in both English and French, many times just because the words are there. My fingers itch to be holding a book. I've noted that I am a nerd, and have read quite a bit more than the average person. I'm seeing Benjamin discover the magic in reading, and I smile as I see him sitting on the couch reading a book.

So when a friend from home asked for volunteers to read and review her latest book, I jumped at the chance. I'd read two of her other novels, and was definitely interested more of her work. "Dawn's Early Light" by L.C. Lewis is set in Maryland (I'm from Maryland, remember!) during the war of 1812. It is actually the third novel in the Free Men and Dreamers series, but is set up so that you don't need to have read the first two in order to understand the plot. I have read the first two, and you may recall that I tend to have trouble separating fiction from reality, so I wanted to find out what happened to these characters.

The story follows a family who makes difficult decisions regarding slavery as they prepare their farm and lives for war. They believe very strongly in the new nation for which they are ready to fight. They believe that men can be led by inspiration to make correct choices. They believe that we do have a responsibility to do all we can to be righteous leaders for our family and country.
The author, Lewis, has done an amazing amount of research, and the details about battles that take place is incredible. Obviously, Maryland is the best state in the country, and one reason for this is all the history that you can find everywhere you look. Every historical detail in this book works to make you feel as if you are actually living through the events that led up to the burning of Washington D.C. And when you come right down to it, that's the whole point of a book. To open your eyes and make you feel as if you were there, and you saw it.

L.C. Lewis sent me a copy of the book, and now she's giving away three copies to blog readers also. From now until December 18, visit any and all of these sites, (not all links are posted, so keep checking!) leave a comment on each and you will be entered to win your own copy of "Dawn's Early Light." But if you don't win, it's available on amazon.com and also Seagull Book.

1 comment:

Laurie LC Lewis said...

Erin, thanks for going above and beyond with your review, particularly during the last days of your pregnancy. I'll be waiting to hear about the newest Hansen bundle, and praying for a quick, perfect delivery. Thanks again!