Monday, January 12, 2009

In Real Life

I tend to have a hard time separating "reality" from the "fiction" I see in movies or read in books. The characters become real to me, and I wonder about their lives after the book or movie has ended. I've read "The Red Tent" and found myself wanting to correct Gospel Doctrine teachers as they teach about Jacob, his wives and Dinah. I want to tell them what really happened. "The Other Boleyn Girl" taught me so much about Anne Boleyn and her sister that I consider myself an expert on life in the 1500's. I know everything there is to know about Vermeer because I've read "The Girl with the Pearl Earing." Kermit the Frog does have a nephew in real life. And obviously, I know so much magic from Harry Potter that I'm practically a wizard myself.

When I see a movie based on a book, I'm the annoying person telling everyone "what really happened." From "The Devil Wears Prada," Andy doesn't leave Paris for the reason they give. That's not why she just walks away from Miranda. And the other thing that happened in Paris, with that boy? Not so much. "The Count of Monte Cristo" is so far off from the story that it's funny! "Anne of Green Gables" sticks pretty much to reality, as do most of the movies based on Jane Austen novels (thank goodness!). (Oh, because I've seen "Becoming Jane" and read all her novels so many times I've practically memorized them, I could give lectures on the life and times of Jane Austen...)

So when we saw "Wicked" on Saturday night, I was a little bit curious as to how they would end the show. Or even what they would include from the actual story line. Because the book? It's so full of politics that even though I skipped over whole paragraphs about animal rights because Elphaba can get quite passionate about the animals, I'm an expert. So I have just one thing to say about the differences between the book and the musical: That's not what really happened. I loved the music, it was incredible, and amazing and just plain wonderful. But the endingwas not at all close to "reality." And I'm an expert on the Land of Oz.

6 comments:

Mike and Stacie said...

I'm glad you liked the musical! I just thought it was a WONDERFUL too! I hope you guys had a wonderful vacay together.

Grant and Stacy said...

I just don't read any books, so when I see the movie/musical... I'm not disappointed!

Heather said...

Oh, I want to see that musical. I thought about reading the book, but I heard it was smutty....I hope you're not mad I'm leaving this comment in a public forum. Mostly the word smutty just makes me smile.

Savanna said...

That's fun that you went and saw wicked. I loved it. I haven't read the book though... But even Dan thought it was great. The music is awesome! I hope you had a fun getaway!

Jess Perry said...

I have heard so many awesome things. My sister just went a few days ago in New York and I need to get there to go see it! Glad you like it!

suzy's jewels and gem said...

Hi Erin... I kinda remember you... i served my mission back in Maryland 97-99. I think you were in college and had come back for a visit while i was serving in the Mt.Airy ward. Anyway.. We are in Rupert..just right next to ya right?? Maybe we could get our boys together and play...they look around the same age. Seth is six in a half..how are is your boy?