Sunday, February 17, 2008

"Life's not fair"

A conversation I had with Madeleine as we were getting ready for church:

Madeleine: The next time I'm in your tummy, can you make me a boy, because it's no fair that Benjamin gets to wear a tie and I don't.

Me: You will never be in my tummy again, and you will always be a girl. But there are lots of good things about being a girl.

Madeleine: Like what?

Me: Well, you get to wear ribbons and lace. Boys don't get to do that.

Madeleine: What else?

Me: You get to wear make up when you're big. Boys don't get to do that.

Madeleine: What else?

Me: You get to wear ribbons in your hair. Boys don't get to do that.

Madeleine: What else?

Me: You get to take dance classes. Boys don't get to do that.

Madeleine: What else?

Me: You get to wear sparkly clothes. Boys don't get to do that.

Madeleine: (Smiling) It's fair.

5 comments:

Ben and Jenn said...

SO funny! She is too cute!

losing my needles said...

Wow er,
You have some pretty strick gender roles in your house.

Ashley said...

Too easy to win that argument...just bring up sparkles and shoes and that girl is good to go! Super cute!

Kacey said...

What a funny conversation...I love it!

Anonymous said...

Too cute. You forgot to mention all the glorious shoes for girls too!