Thursday, December 20, 2007

My Holiday Dilemma

I am the type of person that if you give me a plate of holiday goodies, I'll eat them all, even if I don't like them. I look at that plate of goodies that someone worked over, and spent time, and money and so much effort and think to myself, "They will surely be offended if I don't eat it."

But last year, I saw something that completely changed the way I think about those plates of holiday goodies.

I saw someone chuck the unopened plate of goodies right into the trash can. She just said thank you, at the door, then came in and threw it away. It was like a lightbulb went on above my head.

It really IS the thought that counts! Those friendly neighbors, and co-workers don't need to know that I didn't actually enjoy their creations. All they need to know, is that I know they were thinking about me, and my family, and I appreciate the thought.

So this year! When we received the fruit cake (we really did, and it did weigh a ton) it went right into the trash can. This really is a revelation for me. I take my dessert eating very seriously, and it's a miracle I'm not applying to be on the next Biggest Loser.

Having said that, today, I packed up some cute little bags of fudge and other creations which I will lovingly pass out tomorrow. It's actually the first time I've done it, and those cute little bags may end up in the trash can full of goodies. But, it's the thought that counts. I just want my friends to know that I'm thinking about them.

And, I'm giving them the goodies so I don't eat them all myself. Because I could.

4 comments:

losing my needles said...

My solution is to have the cat knock the plate of goodies on the floor during the night. If you make sure your kitchen floor is never clean enough to eat off of, then it's not a temptation to eat them anyway.

Erin said...

That would require a cat, which will never happen in the Hansen household.

Kacey said...

Great post Erin...I think we all relate to this yearly ritual of the goodie plates! Have to say I've never turned away a plate of fudge though. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Jess Perry said...

Love this post...you are hillarious! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!