Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I have learned nothing.

Isaac and Andrew are practically identical in personality. So for the past four years I've been hearing nothing but, "He's going to be trouble!" or, "You sure have your work cut out for you with him!" or, "It sure is entertaining watching you chase him!" and quite frankly, I'm tired of it. I'm tired of the constant vigilance required of an Ephraim's Child. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have a baby who just watches a movie, because they hold no interest for Andrew whatsoever.
Anyway. I've avoided a lot of disasters this time around because I know what to expect. I know that the desitin should not be within reach of a twenty month old. I know that make up bags should be locked away, bathroom doors closed, dressers should be placed far away from cribs, paint cans should be sealed with wax, and libraries should be avoided (which is the saddest thing for my older kids who should be allowed to browse leisurely through the stacks instead of having five minutes to grab the first things they see before I loose my mind chasing a screaming kid through the stacks...). I really have learned a lot.
But sometimes, sometimes I get so tired of the constant vigilance that I walk away from something knowing, absolutely knowing that I will regret it. Such was the case this morning. I had just finished my run and wanted a shower. I asked Madeleine to keep an eye on Andrew, and walked to my room. As I closed the door behind me I heard Isaac getting a pop tart, and knew he wouldn't rubberband the cupboard door handle together after he was done. But I just wanted a shower, and what damage could he do?
There's the half eaten pop tart that caused all the trouble...

I'm just glad it wasn't the flour bin he got into.
Anyway. After the latest binge of self pity on how tired I was of all this, I was studying the weekly Sunday School lesson and came across this gem of a scripture in Ephesians. "Be not weary in well doing." Every time I want to just give up, I remember that this is my job, and it's the most important one I could ever have. I remember that I am doing a good thing in raising these little boys, and I should try my hardest to not be weary.
Some days are harder than others to not be weary. And to remember all the things I've learned.

3 comments:

Karla, A Cali Girl in Idaho! said...

And I was just reading in The Ensign, "Be of good cheer"... Your awesome.

Nicole said...

I know... it's CONSTANT- You're Doing Great!

Mike and Stacie said...

Good post...good scripture! I have to remind myself often of my job as well. One of my favorite sayings that I tell myself over and over is "Come what may, and love it!" (from a conference talk by Elder Wirthlin). You are an awesome example of a mother to me :)