Thursday, August 27, 2009

School Time!

School started this week, so I'm playing the "busy mom" role again! Drop off Benjamin at 8:15, drop of Madeleine at 12:00, and pick them both up at 3:00. I don't like being quite so scheduled, but I'll get used to it!
Madeleine was so excited about school starting, that she said, "I wish school were every day!"
Benjamin, as a wise and all knowing second grader, knew better. He loves his Saturdays!
When Benjamin started Kindergarten I planned on being one of "those moms" who insist their child be called by the full name. Two years later I've given up, and even wrote "Ben Hansen" on his supplies. Madeleine on the other hand, I don't plan on giving up on that one. It's going to be a challenging fight: nine letters is a lot for a kindergartener to write. By the time she gets done with that, the whole class will have moved on to snack time! And sure enough, on day three, she came home with papers for "Maddy." She said the aid asked her if she went by that sometimes and she said yes! So now I have to correct the situation, somehow. Do I really want to be one of those annoying mothers who calls on day four to let the teacher know all the things she's doing wrong so far?
p.s.--if there's not two d's in her name to begin with, why add the extra one for a nickname? If she MUST be "Mady" (and I say this very grudgingly--meaning, there's no reason for her to be Mady), spell it correctly!

2 comments:

Angie said...

I'm sorry, Ben has just always been a "Ben" to me. (not that I don't LOVE the name Benjamin) Madeleine(the name, not the girl:) took a little getting used to but she is definately more a Madeleine than a Mady. However, I say let HER straighten it out and let her tell people what she wants to be called. She is the one who has to answer to it. :)(I still find it wierd when people call me Angela)

Karla, A Cali Girl in Idaho! said...

I guarantee you that this is NOT a big deal and you will have far more bigger issues to deal with in due time~ :D You decide though your the mom. YEAH! What about Ike? LOL