Thursday, July 7, 2011

Riding the Trail of the Hiawatha

First, go here to see the video of our very first bike trip, three years ago. It's worth a click, and sticking it through to the very end. And please note that the year old baby running around is Isaac, and today I feel that nothing has changed and I'm still chasing a white haired one year old everywhere I go, plus a four year old, in addition to the older two.
Last year Adam found out about this bike trail he wanted to try out. So we planned out a trip, and off we set.
The 13 mile, downhill, trail starts out with a 1.7 mile tunnel. Required on the trail are helmets, (of course) and some sort of light for your bike. This is because the tunnels are pitch black. I have a whole new understanding of the phrase, "the light at the end of the tunnel," because once you saw that pin prick of light you had something to work for. Before you see the light, it's just pedaling through black nothingness. The first tunnel was a bit rough, in that it was dark, and also there was water dripping from the ceiling, sometimes in little mini-waterfalls. Also, the trail was slightly raised in the middle, to create drainage for the dripping water along the sides. I was certain I was going to get too close to the edge of the stream on the side and crash my bike. Madeleine came out the other side just bawling. It was scary, and she was cold, and didn't want to go on any more. But we pushed on anyway.
The trail is an old railroad track, so it goes over many tall trestle bridges, and through lots of tunnels. None were as long as the first, so the rest of the ride was easy, and entertaining.
The little boys were asleep in the trailer, so we didn't wake them for a picture. This was where we stopped for lunch. At this point we realized we didn't have a watch, or phone with us, and didn't know what time it was. We knew we had to make it to the end of the path by a certain time to catch the shuttle back to the top, or we'd have to ride 13 miles uphill to get back to our car. So we started pushing the kids to go faster. This was when they started getting bored, and didn't want to keep working. But we made it with plenty of time, and rode the shuttle back to the top. We actually had to ride back through the first, long tunnel to get to our cars, but it wasn't so bad the second time.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

That's really awesome. Family bike rides are at the top of my list of things to do. Your kids are real troopers.

Anonymous said...

This is a cute picture and I luv it https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjftLVklbaEEjcgKTIwTBVrRAwko-HjB5hsVGKcvnfwxLX5Td2b84Oh4fa3Q6igmkCtNK8UJD6GBYuL9lRp9pbdOGtb0ZPjjfxdsZygWelhPWM1hj4lR4pJUkmdnTUn9TOI6v0tnfQcjUrY/s0/IMG_0409.JPG I have this picture on display life size a digital picture display in the main living area of my home where I can show her off, and I have her on display life size in my bedroom in a digital picture display because I think she looks good. It is really cool because when I am looking at her the picture is so clear and sharp she literally appears to be directly in front of me. The display is warm and silky smooth so in the privacy of my bedroom, and because she looks good I like to kiss her. It is always a lot of fun because it seems like I am really kissing a good looking little girl and that is awesome!