Every summer, I'd put the kids in swimming lessons. We'd spend half an hour every day for two weeks "learning how to swim." I never felt that they were actually learning anything, and since we don't have regular access to a pool for them to practice, anything they did learn was quickly forgotten. Every time we'd go to a hotel and swim in the pool, the kids would be hanging on Adam for support. After talking with some friends, I decided enough was enough, and I signed them up for the swim team! My friend said her daughter couldn't swim at the beginning of the season, and by the end she could swim the entire length of the pool.
The first two weeks of swim team were awful. Benjamin had to be able swim the length of the pool to make the team, so he and I spent some time at the local pool practicing, and I felt confident that as long as he could do whatever stroke he needed to, he'd make it across the pool.
The pool we practice at isn't heated, and those early June mornings were about 55 degrees. Luckily, because of a technical problem with the pool, the kids spent the second week indoors watching swimming videos, then the next week at the neighboring city's pool, which is heated. Then it was back to our unheated, frigid water. I felt like such a mean mom, making my kids stay in that water. They were crying every day when they got out. But gradually, the days got warmer, the water got warmer and they got better at swimming. There have been no tears at practice for at least a month now.
We went to our first meet a week ago, and I have to say, I've never been so proud of Benjamin in my entire life. Because it's his first year swimming, against other kids who have been swimming for 2-3 years, he never wins a race. But he willing, excitedly, and enthusiastically competes in all four strokes, with the backstroke being his favorite. I hope that the learning curve, while steep this year, levels out next year and he's better able to keep up with the other kids.
Madeleine is still less than enthusiastic about the races.
Benjamin decided he hated wearing the swim cap.
Even though it's very hard for Madeleine to make it across the pool, she does. For a girl who couldn't swim at all, to now be able to get herself across 25 meters of water, I think she's done a great job this year.
I'm so glad I signed them up for the swim team. And even though it meant that I had to have them up and ready to go earlier than they had to be for school, it was well worth it. They are now confident in water, and don't need to cling to us in a pool. I'm certainly looking forward to the three weeks I'll have between swimming ending and school starting to just be home in the mornings!
No comments:
Post a Comment