Saturday, May 23, 2009

Madeleine danced her heart out




We've had another successful year at Centre Stage dance studios. Madeleine loved her teacher, and absolutely loves to dance. This year's theme for the recital was "Western" and I was a little dubious when I saw her costume, but she loved it, and they looked really cute up there.




Before the recital, Madeleine's teacher had mentioned something about trophies, and so Madeleine was SURE she was going to get one after her dance. I knew otherwise, and tried to prepare her for "what if" you don't get one. But she would have nothing to do with that possibility. Afterwards, Madeleine saw one mother give her daughter a trophy, and I saw her thinking "Where's mine?" so I tried to distract her with a promise to go get some ice cream. That seemed to do the trick. We watched the rest of the recital, where she saw some girls get bouqets of flowers, and went for ice cream. In the car on the way home she was still so excited and almost giddy when she said, "I know Daddy has something at home for me." I had to tell her that no, Daddy doesn't have flowers or a trophy at home for you. And my heart broke as I saw her face just crumple and a real heartbroken crying started. She was absolutely devastated. So I did what any sucker mother does, and said we could stop at the store and she could pick out some flowers for herself. It's amazing that the emotions of a five year old can fluctuate so dramatically in the space of 30 seconds. She was giddy and elated again.

8 comments:

Karla, A Cali Girl in Idaho! said...

Oh my gosh Madeleine you danced so great at the recital. Kenzi and I love to watch you dance. Hope you have fun next year. Good luck!(don't forget the flowers mom)

Karla, A Cali Girl in Idaho! said...

Oh my gosh! Just saw the baby thing! Congrads! Can't wait, this is so fun!

losing my needles said...

So how come no one tells me anything any more? Is this how we announce babies now, with a counter on the blog? Sheesh, I thought we were better friends than this, or sisters or something. I just saw mom yesterday and she didn't say anything either. How come everyone hates me!
Oh, and I can't see why you would have been dubious about the costume....

Grant and Stacy said...

Does Madeleine get her dance skills from her mom? Oh yeah, baby. And I didn't even notice the baby ticker until I read everyone else's comments. Congrats!

rebecca and tim white said...

How funny, Rachel's dance place is called Center Stage Dance. Baby?? Fill us in!

Ben and Jenn said...

Madeleine is so cute! She sure seems to love dance. Congrats to you guys! I notice the baby ticker as well... fill us in some more. :o)

Savanna said...

She looks so cute in her little dance costume. I always hate the trophy part of the recital. We deal with the same drama. :) Yay you are pregnant. That is exciting! I hope you are feeling well.

jonna said...

That is an absolutely adorable picture! Trophies?? For a dance recital? What's up with that? Maybe you could crusade to put an end to that part of the drama! (There's probably enough drama to go around in a dance studio that a little less wouldn't be missed, right??) :)