Friday, October 26, 2012

And baby makes seven!

Thomas Martin was born September 10, 2012. 
We spent the nine months leading up to his birth wondering if we were having a boy or a girl.  We didn't find out at our ultrasound, and people thought we were crazy!  Friends asked all the time if we had a "feeling" either way, and we really didn't--I didn't at least.  We knew it really didn't matter what we had and so we decided to wait for that super exciting moment at the hospital.  I had this idea of how it would be the most amazing thing in the world to have waited, and waited, and then worked so hard through labor to have Adam say, "It's a...!"  Turns out, I was sent to the hospital at 7 centimeters dilated, but not really in labor.  And once I was started, he came pretty fast so there was no long drawn out labor, or pushing stage with the thought of finding out what we were having as an incentive to keep going.  But the most disappointing part of the whole nine months was that both the nurse and the doctor told us we were having a boy before he was born, even though we told them we didn't know.  I'm not at all disappointed to have another boy, but I was very disappointed to not have my moment.  
Thomas has been a very good little baby.  He sleeps through the night frequently, tolerates being hauled around by his older brothers and sister, and is pretty happy.  The kids think he's the cutest little toy ever!  They were so cute meeting him for the first time, especially Madeleine.  She has taken to the role of big sister, and I love it when she picks him up and says, "I'm going to change Thomas' diaper!"  

He was two weeks early, but still weighed 9 pounds!  He was so fat, with rolls on his neck, and his cheeks were just huge.  He's since grown into the weight, but he's still a big baby.  We just love having him in our family, even though it adds a new element to the crazy around here.  

1 comment:

Savanna said...

I've missed your blog posts too. I can only imagine how busy you are with 5 kids. Thomas is darling. I'm glad he's here and all went well. :)