Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I just don't get it

So I've been hearing some people talk about Twitter. And I just don't get it. Same with Facebook. It says it's a social networking tool. And I wonder, how social can you be if you sit in front of a computer all day, twittering? Or emailing? Or IM'ing? Or texting for that matter? What the heck is wrong with having a conversation? In person? Or even on the phone?

Maybe I just don't know what it's all about, and if someone out there knows and wants to clue me in, I'd appreciate it. But I just don't get it.

It seems like Twitter is just little mini-updates about what you're doing all day long. But, if you're constantly running to the computer to post little updates, like, "I finally folded all the laundry today!" or "We had hot dogs for lunch!" how much life are you really living?

Maybe the problem, for me, lies here: Who would I twitter with? Way back when I was a freshman in college, one of my roommates had an email address, and I thought it was the dumbest thing in the world. Who on earth would I need to email? All my friends lived within 100 yards of each other, and I communicated with my mother by mail, and telephone! What else could I possibly need?

And I have the same issue today. The people I need to talk to, live with me. The people I want to keep in touch with, I do, through email--yeah, I got the email address! So why bother "social networking" with people I'll probably never meet? But if someone out there who reads this (all 5 of you!) can explain, please do.

2 comments:

Mike and Stacie said...

I totally agree with you! All my single friends text and it drives me crazy!!! I went to my friends wedding breakfast the other day and her friends (a whole table worth) all had their phones out texting! I was appalled! It was a wedding breakfast! Also, Mike and I went to a movie and there were probably 8 shining lights in the darkness because those people came to the movie to text I guess...not watch the movie. I just don't understand either. (sorry about the long comment, but it is one of my biggest pet peeves!)

Angie said...

I'm with Stacie. The whole texting thing has gotten out of control. I would much rather have a good conversation in person more than anything else, (maybe that's just cause I like to talk so much, I don't know) But I'm not a computer sitter either. I last about 1/2 hour a day, updating my blog reading, or email and that's about it, anything more than that and I'm sick of sitting. :) p.s. Happy birthday coming up!