Thursday, June 27, 2013

Andrew learns to swim!

I signed Andrew up for swimming lessons this year.  He's only three, but I figure the more time in the pool the better!  He was so excited, and loves going every day.  He's watched the big kids swim on the swim team for three years, so when it was finally his turn to spend time in the pool he wasn't at all nervous about getting in.  I was having memories of Benjamin's first swimming lessons, and how I had to drop him into the pool screaming, and I had to get in with him to keep him calm.  There was none of that with this kid!

He's the shortest one in his class, with his chin barely clearing the water.  His teacher adapted to this by putting a plastic chair with a brick on it in the pool for him to hang out on.  He occasionally wanders away in search of a floating toy, and his teacher will call out, "Back to the chair Andrew!  It's not worth it!" Once he wandered out a little too far and got into a little bit of trouble.  The teacher had a conversation with him which made me chuckle:
Her:  Are you allowed to walk out into the middle of the pool?
Him:  When I get big I can.
Her:  Right.  But right now, are you allowed to walk out into the middle of the pool?
Him:  When I get big I can.
Her:  Okay, but tomorrow, will you walk out into the middle of the pool?
Him:  When I get big I can.


It's hard to say how much he's actually learning, since he doesn't like putting his face in the water.  But he's having a great time!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Smart kid. The power of passive resistance. Pulling a Bartleby...if you get that reference, I will be very impressed. :)