Today was parent teacher conferences. I have been looking forward to my first chat with Isaac's teacher for about five years now. I wondered what will she say to me? Will she recognize the incredible spirit in this boy? Will she love him like she should? And of course she did. She told me all the things I already knew about him.
We waited forever to see Madeleine's teachers. When I'm waiting I often wonder what is going on in there that's taking so long? Are there serious problems to be talked through for that student? My conferences are quick and to the point. I have no questions to ask. The teachers generally only have good things to say. No conflicts to resolve or issues to be talked through.
Benjamin's homeroom teacher said the same thing that every homeroom teacher he's ever had has said to me, "I wish I had him for more of the day. He's such a great kid." I walk away from chatting with his teachers wondering what the point was. I now understand why my parents didn't go to parent teacher conferences when I was in school. His teachers can't ask me to improve nearly perfect.
There were a couple of moments where I thought that maybe some time with flash cards could improve a certain score. I wondered where I'd fit that in to the day. Which ten minutes of play would I cut so Madeleine's math score would go up. Or how would I convince Isaac that it will eventually be worth his time to finally learn letters. When it comes down to it, I may think that a flash card could help, but I know I won't change ten minutes of play in the tree outside for a better math score. She has so few ten minutes of play as it is.
2 comments:
Excuse me. I went to every parent teacher conference when you kids were in elementary school. What was the point in HS? In fact, as you said, what was the point ever?
I love your posts Erin. That baby of yours is SO sweet. We are going to miss you guys, primary is getting to be a sad sad place, it seems like we are shrinking by the week!
Post a Comment